Sunday, April 6, 2014

Here's to progress!

I'm happy to report that, after some much-needed medical leave for downtime, I got notice from the publisher for "Book Number One" that he was done with my recorded audio files. He sent them over to me, I uploaded them to ACX, and a few clicks of our respective mice later, my first title is now officially in QA--which, according to ACX, can take "upwards of 10-14 days". (Why provide a range, then say it can take "upwards" of the range? Do they mean it can take 10-14 days, or that it can take upwards of 14 days? Or something else? The mind boggles.)

In any case, I'm now into "final countdown" for actually having a book out there, and because this book is the first of a series, I've already contracted to produce the second in the series!

I know that technically I could probably tell you all (my "extensive" audience) what the book is, but I guess I'm superstitious. Somehow it feels like I'd be jinxing it to put it out there right now. So what do I feel comfortable saying?

Well, I can say that this book is one by a well-known author, and that I actually remember seeing it and its sequels in a bookstore back in the 80s--probably a Waldenbooks in Plaza Bonita--and really wanting to read them. It's a satirical fantasy story: think something like "The Princess Bride", but with less overt romance, and much wackier. There's practically a cast of thousands--some chapters, I swear I had to come up with ten or more distinct voices in a single scene! And, perhaps most importantly, I had a blast reading it and I can't wait to record the second title in the series.

So wish me luck with the QA process. Hopefully very soon, I'll be able to let the world share in the fun I had recording my first audiobook.

No comments:

Post a Comment